The Celtics get their first win of the season 97-87 over the Utah Jazz at home in the TD Garden.
The first quarter didn’t start so well as Utah came out of the gates on fire, starting the game 16-3 as the Celtics started 1-9 from the field. Boston then quickly replied with Bass, Wallace and a Jeff Green and 1 to bring us down 6 with 5:36 left. The Jazz pushed it back to 10 before Sully forced a jump ball that led to Jeff Green going on his own 5-0 run to get it back to 5. The Celtics closed the 1st on a 10-20 blitz to trail 23-26. Gerald Wallace, who came off the bench after being replaced by Jordan Crawford in the starting line-up, scored 8 points on an amazing 100% from the field, including 2-2 from 2 and 3 boards in the first.
The second started and this time it’s the Celtics who ran hot to start, scoring 8 unanswered points to lead 31-26 with 9:24 left. Jeff Green got the crowd rocking with a 35 foot 3 pointer to put us up 6 as Brad Stevens said something to the fans that made them laugh. The scoring then dried up as both teams didn’t score for over 2 minutes as the Celtics lad by 4 with a little under 6 minutes left. The team finished on a 47-18 outburst since being behind 16-3 to start the game, to lead 50-34 at the half. Jeff Green had 13 points, 3 rebounds and 4 dimes & Kelly Olynyk had 8 and 3.
After the break the Celtics kept it going, pushing the lead to 22 with 10:24 left. Jeff Green knocked down one of his three 3’s tonight to give him 16 and the Celtics a huge 63-38 advantage. Olynk got his 3rd offensive rebound and put it back in to push the lead back to 22 with 4:10 left. Courtney Lee knocked down a big 3 to push the Celtics ahead by their biggest margin with a little over 2 minutes left. It was a much tighter quarter than the second as the Celtics outscored the Jazz 34-28 to lead 84-62 heading into the last. Jeff Green had 18 including 3-4 from deep and Wallace was having himself a nice night of 9 points, 9 boards and 3 assists off the bench.
The fourth quarter was not pretty as the Jazz started on a furious 17-3 rally before Crawford finally stopped the drought of nearly 5 minutes and pushed the Celtics lead back to 10. The Jazz again did some quick scoring to get it down to 6 before Bass nailed a jumper to push it back to 8 with 3:49 left. A big turnover by Utah led to Sully making them pay and extended the lead back to 10. The game finished going back and forth as Bass slammed it down with 42 seconds left. It was a scrappy last quarter as the Celtics only managed 13 points in the last but held on to get their first win 97-87 at home and improved to a 1-5 record.
- The Celtics shot 45% from the field for the game even though they started 1-9.
- The Celtics forced 22 Jazz turnovers compared to their 15.
- The Celtics were out sized but still pulled down the same amount of rebounds (42)
- The Celtics shot 7-20 from downtown and 10-14 from the line.
- The Celtics had 22 assists as a team but only 3 in the last quarter
- Jared Sullinger, Gerald Wallace & Kelly Olynyk where a + 44 combined
- The Celtics have now been outscored 134-79 in the 4th quarter.
- Brandon Bass lead all scorers with 20 points, 4 boards and 2 assists
- Jeff Green had 18 points, 3 boards and 4 assists but only scored 5 points after the half (None in the last)
- Jared Sullinger had 12 points, 5 boards and a +18. After this game, Jared Sullinger honestly deserves a starting role.
- Olynyk had 14 points, 8 boards and 3 assists
- Gerald Wallace had 9 points and 9 boards off the bench.